Saturday, June 28, 2014

June Goal Accomplished, and Then Some!

I decided to make it easy on myself when I set my June goal (Goal #18 at Fiber of All Sorts) since I haven't accomplished much so far this year.  Not only did I accomplish my goal of getting a baby quilt top put together, but I put two tops together AND finished both quilts!  Two things helped motivate me -- going to a retreat, and the fact that both babies had already been born. 

I wish I could remember where online I first saw this idea.  It's the easiest baby quilt ever!  Starting with 5" squares I made the star......


















......then surrounded it with more squares.























I had bought some great backing fabric at Hancock's of Paducah with help from my friend Shirley.  I just love this Michael Miller fabric, "Monster Mash".  Can you see the little baby monster?  Too cute!
















I basted both quilts at retreat and started hand-quilting one of them.   I had some great colors of quilting thread from which to choose, and with Angela's help decided on purple.  (Yes, I do have a problem with decisiveness!)
















I got both quilts hand-quilted in 10 days, so I am now suffering from a flare-up of tendonitis, but it was well worth it.  I just love these quilts.
















The quilts are on their way to their new owners, baby Grant and baby Seth.   

















Now I am wondering if I can get the next baby quilts (for twins due in the fall) actually finished before the babies are born.  What a concept, huh?

Since I completed my goal I am linking up with A Lovely Year of Finishes.


5 comments:

Heidi said...

Congrats on a double-finish! Cute quilts!
Do you know the gender of the twins coming?

Kristyn @ Melon Patch Quilts said...

Of course you can get the next 2 quilts finished in time for the twins! Love the monster fabric.

Mimi said...

They turned out great Sandy and I think any color of thread would have worked out great.

Jasmine said...

That was some super fast hand quilting. Beautiful quilts, and that monster fabric is too cute.

Dar said...

You were really on a roll in June. Those baby quilts turned out so cute and I was amazed that you finished quilting both of them so quickly. You will have no trouble for the fall twins quilts.