Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Broken Dishes for Baby

I really have no idea why I decided on the "Broken Dishes" block for my great-nephew Blake's quilt in 2001.  I do know I wanted a traditional look and I wanted to use my stash.  I remember that his mommy cried when she opened the gift.  That's the kind of response we quilters like.  We really want our hard work to be appreciated!  
Now Blake is about to become a big brother.  His mommy is having the first girl great-grand-baby in our family after a string of eight (yes 8) boy cousins!   I thought about all kinds of cute and definitely PINK ideas for this quilt, but in the end I went with "Broken Dishes" again, and I used a soft floral print from my stash with "just enough" pink in it. 
Even though it's more work and can be time consuming, I like to iron my seams open.  I think the blocks are more finished looking and the piecing is more precise.  Choosing the right color for a small border was challenging since I was working from my stash.  I really wanted to go with a yellow or pink, and I even thought about red since there is a tiny red dot in the background of the print.
I ended up liking  the light purple the best, though, and after adding just a 1" inner border of that, I finished it off with a small outer border of the print.  This one needs to be hand quilted for sure, so it looks like I will have something to work on in the hotel at the AQS Show in Paducah later this month.  
Now to get the backing pieced so I can baste it and get started quilting.  Doesn't this look like just the perfect quilt for a very special little long-awaited girl baby??

6 comments:

Gloria said...

I see more tears coming! :o) Love the purple.

Mimi said...

That's very pretty Sandy.

Sandy Panagos said...

Thanks! It wore me out, but it felt good to get something done!

Bonnie said...

Yes indeed, it's a lovely quilt for a baby girl and will gorgeous when it's quilted. Great job.

Gloria said...

BTW - How are you feeling and when is the AQS
Show?

Anonymous said...

it's very girly and cute, i hope i get one of those girls as a grandbaby!